The Duke of Sussex has launched legal action against publishers of The Sun and the Daily Mirror over alleged phone-hacking, as his wife Meghan sues The Mail on Sunday over the publication of a private letter which the couple says was published in an “intentionally destructive manner”.
Harry’s legal action comes less than a decade after the phone-hacking scandal at News International which saw the launch of the Leveson Inquiry, and the shutting down of the News Of The World after more than 160 years in print.
Several members of the Royal Family were found to have had their phone messages intercepted by the paper.
But it’s not just phone-hacking. Here’s how the young royals have fallen victim to the press in recent years.
In 2014, the Old Bailey heard that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were hacked almost every day by the News of the World.
Prince William was hacked 35 times while Kate’s phone messages were intercepted 155 times in the space of a few months between 2005 and 2006 – including on Christmas Day and Valentine’s Day.
In 2017, a court ordered France’s Closer magazine to pay €100,000 in damages to the couple over topless pictures of Kate.
The photos of the pair on holiday in the south of France were published in Closer and in regional magazine La Provence in September 2012.
They filed a criminal complaint for invasion of privacy and got an injunction preventing further use of the images.
In a statement read to a Paris court by a lawyer, Prince William said the case was “all the more painful” because of the way the paparazzi hounded his mother before her death in the French capital 20 years ago.
He said the “clandestine way in which these photographs were taken was particularly shocking to us as it breached our privacy”.
Harry and Meghan
The Duke of Sussex was hacked nine times by the News Of The World.
When it emerged Prince Harry was dating actress Meghan Markle, they both quickly became the focus of newspapers and magazines in the UK and the US.
In 2016, just a few months after they started dating, Harry’s communications secretary released a statement on the prince’s behalf, saying Meghan was being “harassed”.
It said that although Harry is aware that there is significant curiosity about his private life and has tried to develop a “thick skin about the level of media interest” in it, a line had been “crossed”.