Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have had enough of royal life. After facing years of endless criticism and unrelenting royal pressure, the couple recently announced that they plan to scale back from their duties and spend their time abroad.
It’s been tough on the entire family, but especially Prince William who’s always lived within close proximity to his baby brother. The Duke of Cambridge recently opened up about his feelings, admitting that he’s “sad” about Prince Harry’s decision to step back and heartbroken that he’ll no longer get to do one thing with his brother.
More on Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s announcement
On Jan. 8, the Sussexes announced on Instagram that they were stepping back as senior members of the British royal family. They said they planned on carving out “a progressive new role within this institution” and working to become finally independent from the Crown.
“We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages,” they said in part. “This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.”
People reported that the royal family did not know about their plans and were blindsided by the news.
“There is a lot of hurt about this,” a source told the publication.
Prince William gets emotional over his brother’s decision
In a Jan. 12 interview with The Sunday Times, Prince William said he’s sad that he won’t get to hug his brother as much as he wants to.
“I’ve put my arm around my brother all our lives and I can’t do that anymore…I’m sad about that,” he said (via Fox News).
Prince William also noted that he is trying his best to support the Sussexes and hopes they’ll be able to find a solution that works for everyone.
“All we can do, and all I can do, is try and support them and hope that the time comes when we’re all singing from the same page. I want everyone to play on the team,” he continued.
The royal family will meet soon to work out the transition
Sources told People on Jan. 11 that Queen Elizabeth has organized a meeting on Jan. 13 to “talk things through” in regards to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s decision to step back from their roles. Sources noted that Markle will likely join via phone, given that she’s currently in Canada.
“Following a series of meetings and consultations across the last few days, there is a range of possibilities for the family to review which take into account the thinking the Sussexes outlined earlier in the week,” a royal source explained to the publication.
“As we have said previously, making a change to the working life and role of the monarchy for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex requires complex and thoughtful discussions. Next steps will be agreed at the meeting,” the source continued. “The request for this to be resolved ‘at pace’ is still Her Majesty’s wish. The aim remains days not weeks. There is genuine agreement and understanding that any decision will take time to be implemented.”
Luckily, all parties seem committed to making sure that the transition is as smooth as possible. We hope it works out.